Saturday, April 5, 2008

Iranian Blogosphere

The New York Times reported about the state of the Iranian blogosphere, news prompted by a report by the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School . The survey of Iranian blogs produced a map of the Iranian "blogosphere," referenced in the NYT article. The article, however, does not list or link to any actual blogs. I took my curiosity one step further and tracked some down.

Some of the blogs are overtly political and support some opposition views. I found one that showed a video of the Quran being burned. Some are not political and are preoccupied with more mundane concerns. It is difficult to get a glimpse of life in Iran through traditional media, and I appreciate the views offered by these native voices.

I include in this list blogs that are pretty active and which talk about contemporary Iranian culture, politics, or society. I omit blogs that simply catalog or present news stories without any comment or response. I also omit blogs posting poetry or art and blogs that are not in English.

No comments: